21 November 2012

Movies: 4:44 Last Day on Earth

4:44 Last Day on Earth (2011) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1707391/

Drama

It's the last day on Earth. The ozone layer is completely depleted and everything on Earth will begin to die at 4:44 AM EST.  We spend the final 12 or so hours with Cisco and his girlfriend Skye.

Stars Willem Dafoe as Cisco and some gal I've never seen before, Shanyn Leigh, as Skye.

Yeah, I chose to watch this 'cause of Dafoe. Guess I shouldn't just choose films like that without doing a little reading up. There was a brief appearance by Natasha Lyonne (American Pie series) and Paz de la Huerta (Boardwalk Empire). Although I didn't even realize that brief street encounter was de la Huerta until the credit roll.

I just couldn't "get into" this film. The premise sounded sort of appealing. On one hand it's a neat mental exercise to wonder how you'd spend your last 12 hours on Earth when you fully know ahead of time when it is going to end. On the other hand, especially in this instance, it wasn't so neat an experience to sit and watch the final 12 hours with this pair at the center. Drama? More like dryawnma. Oh yeah, and it also seemed like one long running commercial for Skype, and, to a lesser extent, Apple computers.

Not complaining about the cast or production, those aspects were fine. But the story and the film as a whole just bored me through to the end. I stuck around waiting to see if there would be some pay off to make it worth it. Nah. Never happened. I didn't like nor dislike the people, I didn't feel any need to care about them or their fate. I couldn't put myself in their shoes, and I didn't feel compelled to sit and watch them either.
Luckily the final 12 hours only took an hour and a half of screen time, although at times it was sort of feeling like real time. ugh. I'd more readily sit through the first half of "Melancholia" again before sitting through this one, 'cause at least "Melancholia" does have some rewards.

So, yeah, I'm sure there exists people who enjoy the film. I'm not one of 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment