15 March 2012

Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298650/

Action Adventure

This time around Captain Jack Sparrow ends up racing to find the Fountain of Youth, competing with and/or helping Blackbeard and/or the returning-to-the-series Barbossa, and everyone is against the Spanish group on the same quest.

Actiony. Adventury. Mermaids. A little light on sea-battles. A little dark (visually). I prefer the high seas and bright jungle-y bits to dark innards of taverns, ships, nighttime jungles.  I thought the mermaid swimming effects were rather good - fast like dolphins instead of some models struggling in waterlogged prosthetics.

Cast great, just as its predecessors.  A little light on the returning primary and secondary cast, just Sparrow, Barbossa and Gibbs that I recalled. The new characters did great, with Ian McShane as Blackbeard and Penelope Cruz as Blackbeard's daughter Angelica. Considering it turned out Cruz was pregnant during the shoot and her sister did the stand-in work for distance shots I didn't even notice. Hollywood magic, eh?

I like the series of films. Just sit back and let myself be entertained. This one entertains too. Perhaps a tad weaker in some respects than the first three, but not disappointingly so. Regardless, it's a fun romp.  If they continue cranking these out I'll continue watching them. Well, within reason. If they get real stupid all of a sudden I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment