23 September 2011

Movies: Drive Angry

Drive Angry 3D (2011) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502404/

Action / Fantasy

Milton is chasing down the cult that killed his daughter and kidnapped his granddaughter. Anyone that knew Milton remarks "I heard you died" or something to that effect. And some dude named The Accountant is chasing after Milton. You realize rather quickly that no, Milton isn't Snake Plissken, he was actually dead and escaped from hell to return to Earth and go on his revenge tear.

Stars Nick Cage as Milton. Amber Heard as Piper, the waitress that tags along with Milton in his world-saving venture. I've seen her in a few flicks like "Pineapple Express", "The Joneses", "And Soon the Darkness", "Zombieland". What I think is interesting is I didn't realize that's the same actress in those films, which to me means she is doing a great job of playing her characters instead of being the same mannequin propped up or danced around in every film (coughmeganfoxcough).  But the real stand-out performer of the flick is William Fichtner as The Accountant. You'd recognize the guy if you don't already know who he is, he's been a great supporting character in many a film.

Now - to be honest - I can't completely review this film because

I ONLY WATCHED HALF OF IT.

If that.

That's right. Despite explosions, car racing, Nick Cage fully clothed banging some random nude chick and killing about 6 folks in a gunfight, probably-intentionally-bad-one-liners, Nick Cage getting shot in the eye, and other such stuff, the film bored me. Paused the film about halfway through and found something else more exciting to do (I think I took a nap or something).  Didn't even feel like re-starting it later. Just stuck it back in the ol' Netflix envelope and sent it on its merry way.

There are very few films I've intentionally stopped watching.  For example I stopped watching "Embrace of the Vampire" because I just couldn't take the stupid any more. Within the first 15 minutes it accomplished a mind-numbing equivalent to a 16-hour commercial-free Scooby-Doo marathon (yes with Scrappy-Doo). "Drive Angry" wasn't quite that bad, but after stopping to nap (or whatever) I had no desire to continue watching it.

The film may have been aiming for the homage to yesteryear films the way the Grindhouse flicks or Robert Rodriquez's "Machete" were targeted, but what I saw fell a little short.  Perhaps it was trying to fit in the category of "Shoot 'Em Up"*, but never got anywhere near that film either. And the whole 'returned from hell' smacked a little reminiscent of "Ghost Rider", mostly because Nick Cage is in both films. But if any film draws a comparison to Ghost Rider it has already dug a pretty deep hole to try to climb out of. Sure, there's been other 'returned from hell' to exact revenge/right a wrong/whatever flicks. This one, I didn't really enjoy so much.


Watch it or not, it's up to you. I didn't feel compelled to watch the whole thing.
----

* If you haven't yet seen "Shoot 'Em Up" I suggest you do. The first 10 minutes of the film tell you exactly what sort of ride you are in for. It is a great comedic lampoon of over the top action films, probably the best in recent years, and easily re-watchable.

No comments:

Post a Comment