22 February 2011

Movies: The Wolfman (2010)

The Wolfman http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780653/
I can't recall the last time I saw the 1941 The Wolf Man with Lon Chaney, Jr. It was so long ago I only remember that I saw it, but am completely lost as to the story details. I'd have to re-watch the '41 flick to properly compare the two movies. But from what I do recall this Wolfman is definitely a remake of the '41 classic film, the story basically involving same characters.

This one stars Benicio Del Toro as Lawrence Talbot, Anthony Hopkins as LT's father Sir John, Emily Blunt as Gwen (the love interest) and Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith Inspector Abberline.
Okay - so we have a solid core cast on this one. Yes, Del Toro doesn't really look English, but the film explains why in a satisfactory manner.

This remake is still set in 1890's England. Yes it makes some changes to plot, back story, and such - in some cases very big deviations from the '41 flick.

IMO the movie retained a solid gothic feel for the treatment of the story. I liked it, despite the changes from the original. I liked the sets, the story, the action. There were a few quibbly points I've seen others point out. But for me the movie succeeds despite some of its weaknesses. It was entertaining, I liked the sets and settings, the cinematography, the cast did great in their roles. Del Toro's little bit of Shakespearean acting at the beginning caught my attention -- either he's really terrible at Shakespearean acting, or he was acting like an actor that may have delivered the lines so many times that he is bored with the role. I opted for the latter - as in Del Toro played it as delivered on purpose.

They modernized it in some ways, kept a feel for the original in other ways. Some things might come off as nearing the 'campy' scale for some viewers, though not so much for me (or maybe I unconsciously ignored 'em?).

I think this movie is definitely worth watching sometime.

(original post 12 July 2010)

I've since seen the original '41 Wolf Man. Yes, I like it, and I like what they did with this remake. Even though it did complicate things some, it doesn't ruin the flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment