20 February 2011

Movies: Vanishing Point

Vanishing Point http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067927/
This flick from 1971 is supposed to be one of the great car-chase movies, ranked up there with Bullitt, The French Connection, Ronin. Well, yes it is a car chase movie. Guy drives a Challenger from Colorado to California, cops chase him. That's the plot. I fell asleep for a few minutes somewhere in the middle, and woke up in time to see a naked chick riding a motorcycle around a lonely shack in the desert.
I guess it was worth seeing to check it off the "great car-chase movies" list, but the lack of depth to story, cardboard characters and dull commentary on 60s-era cultural stereotypes wrecked the movie for me. Not sure if I just wasn't in the mood for it or what. Even though the bulk of my childhood was in the 70s, some of those flicks from that era just don't resonate with me the way they do with the 'older than me' folks.
But it is a long car chase from start to finish, with a few decent stunt scenes, shot in some great locations.

(original post 20 April 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment