20 February 2011

Movies: Ninja Assassin

Ninja Assassin http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186367/

Plot: Ninjas

Brought to us by executive producers Joel Silver and the Wachowski siblings of Matrix fame. Yes, siblings, not brothers. Larry Wachowski is now Lana Wachowski. I shit you not. Oh, Andy is still Andy.
The Wachowskis did not direct this, James McTeigue (V for Vendetta) did.

I haven't figured out if Ninja Assassin ranks right there with Matrix Revolutions (#3) or not - it is pretty close.
On one hand - there's Ninjas. Lots of blood, fights, decapitations, defenestrations, severed limbs, ninjaing.
On the other hand - weak story, average acting from a weak supporting cast, terrible dialog, imaginary magic ninja powers, and tons of redshirt graduates from the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship. And too many throwing stars. Like a throwing-star-gatling-gun lots.

One can spot the borrowing of the Soldier training school method. Heck, it probably wasn't original for Soldier either, but that's the earliest example I could come up with off the cuff. That's not the only borrowing this film does. Basically this movie was all about hoping anything that wasn't a fight scene would be over soon so there would be more fighting. That's about the only way to watch it: ignore the story and the people.

It is tough to believe this was pooped out by the same folks that brought us Bound, The Matrix (original) and V for Vendetta. Well, I guess Speed Racer is their fault too - but Speed Racer was more fun to watch. I guess the expectation failure falls on me when I set the bar so high after seeing plenty of innovative films out of the Silver/Wachowski camp seeing a regurgitated throwback mastered for 3D like this.
Maybe it was Lana's hormones.
It's crazy - it's probably worth watching at least once despite the suck. Must be the ninjas.
Ninja!

(original post 7 May 2010)

Edit after 2nd viewing 15 Aug 2011
This was on one of the pay movie channels (HBO or something) and I stumbled into it right at the beginning, so I watched it again. I actually disliked it less this time. I think because I already knew what my issues were ahead of time I was able to ignore them and just watch the bloody violence for the entertainment value intended. So yeah - don't think much about the storyline or anything, just turn off the brain and watch the fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment