23 February 2011

Movies: Inception

Inception http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/

Mind-bending sci-fi flick from Christopher Nolan - the director of Batman Begins and the Dark Knight. And The Prestige (much much better flick than The Illusionist). And Memento. And Following (if you haven't seen Following it's definitely worth it if you like Christopher Nolan flicks).

Basic plot - a team of folks that are experts in inserting themselves into a target's dreams to steal their secrets are tasked to implant a subconscious direction to a person to influence their decision on something major.

I'd heard this is a love-it or hate-it flick, and one that needs paying attention to understand what's going on. I can understand why. I liked it - I made sure I paid attention and kept up. But I can see how one could get lost in the multiple layers of reality going on here. And I have a feeling the more lost the viewer gets, the worse the movie will seem.

I appreciated they didn't try to go real in-depth to explain the dream-invading technology in use -- a flick like this was much better served by just "it exists and works". There did seem to be a conveniently easy integration of the team that tackled their task --from a blending of personalities, truest in compatriots, etc -- but I guess to keep the movie moving along it was necessary to gloss over that stuff to concentrate more on the plot points that mattered.

For me it was a very enjoyable thinking sci-fi/fantasy flick.

(original post 19 Feb 2011)

Edit February 2012:
Re-watched the film. Much easier to understand the second time around. Still liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment