26 February 2011

Movies: The Hangover vs. Bachelor Party Vegas

The Hangover (2009) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119646/
Oh my gosh I can't believe I never posted anything on this.  I've watched this flick a couple of times now, too.
The groom-to-be, two of his friends and the bride's brother all pile into a car and head to Vegas for the bachelor party. They get a suite at the hotel, have a toast on the roof to commemorate the evening, then they wake up in the hotel room the next morning after an apparent wild night, which leads to a weekend they'll never forget

Wait - was that The Hangover? or was that

Bachelor Party Vegas (2006) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432373/
Where we find that the groom lets his four friends plan his bachelor party: surprisingly they plan a wild night in Vegas that leads to a weekend they would never forget.

Ah wait - no - it can't be the same movie. Bachelor Party Vegas has Kal Penn in it, and The Hangover has Zach Galifianakis. 

Oh, and The Hangover was funny.

I'm leery of bachelor party movies as they all seem the same
Except the Hangover is funny, and most of the rest are lame

Ooh I rhymed

I hadn't really planned on seeing The Hangover because there's been plenty of flicks trying to recapture the magic that was 1984's Bachelor Party  (with Tom Hanks) and none ever really did.  And I just wasn't in the mood for another failed attempt. 
However I found that even though it may seem that if you've seen one bachelor party movie you've seen them all, the Hangover is sort of funny enough to be worth watching.  Bachelor Party Vegas? Not so much. I suppose if you're a comedy-bachelor-party-movie-completist type you might as well watch Bachelor Party Vegas, but it really wasn't funny, despite having Kal Penn in the cast playing a wise-cracking guy similar to his Kumar character.
And, surprisingly, Galifianakis plays an oddball that's scary and creepy in subtle and not so sublte ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment