20 February 2011

Movies: Ed Wood

Ed Wood http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/
For the Johnny Depp/Tim Burton fix. Funny funny take on the Ed Wood story.
I've seen Plan 9 from Outer Space and, I have to say, Tim Burton's recreation of the filming of that flick looks so much like the real one I'm very impressed.
Even more impressive is Martin Landau's portrayal of Bela Lugosi. 
And kudos to George "The Animal" Steele. Cast perfectly, and acted his part well to boot.
So acting, atmosphere, recreation of events (factual or embellished), everything about this movie works and works well. But you'd have to have seen some of the original Ed Wood movies to appreciate how close this movie is when it comes to the portrayals.

If you don't know who Ed Wood was, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Wood

-----
I just noticed something. Movies I like more tend to get smaller amounts of text than the crappier ones. 
(Well except when I'm just dumping a ton of flicks out at once like I did on June 2nd.)

I guess because I don't want to spoil the good movies so that new viewers can appreciate them on their own terms. Whereas crappy movies aren't always obviously crappy. Sometimes it's hard to spot poop on a chocolate cake. The chocolate cake may look nice at first and the poopy spots are camouflaged under all that icing. Other times a poop pile just looks like a poop pile and you still want to throw rocks at it.

(original post 7 Jun 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment