22 February 2011

Movies: The Crazies

The Crazies http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455407/
I've never seen the original and now I sortof want to in order to compare the two efforts.
The 1973 original was from George A. Romero. Yes, the Night of the Living Dead George Romero.
As much as I liked Romero's "of the Living Dead" flicks, I've never really sought out the breadth of his work, so his original "The Crazies" was unknown to me.
As I said - I can't compare this remake to the original, but I can see Romero's influence on this. It plays with the same "social commentary" theme that seemed to accompany the "of the Living Dead" flicks. 

Plot: Small Iowa community. Locals start doing crazy shit. The sheriff discovers a Secret military biological weapon was accidentally released in their water. The military comes in to clean up the mistake. More crazy shit happens.

Stars: Ryan Seacrest Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchell. Dammit I keep getting Seacrest and Olyphant mixed up. They do fine in their roles, as does the supporting cast. No big doofs to really point out.

The movie was enjoyable enough as you follow what's happening, then find out why things are happening, and see where they ultimately end up. The flick seemed paced pretty well and didn't get too stupid about science until near the end. So it started pretty good, held together through the middle, then started crumbling around the edges near the end. 

But it is an enjoyable enough flick. Makes a good friday night popcorn thriller flick.

(original post 12 Jul 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment