23 February 2011

Movies: Clash of the Titans (2010)

I approached this movie cautiously. I grew up being a fan of Ray Harryhausen flicks and saw the 1981 original when it came out.  I figured - why mess with remaking the classic original CotT? I'm worried mostly because that's messing with my childhood, man.

I tried to turn expectations off and just watched the movie for what it was. It was entertaining enough. Yeah, it keeps the core characters and a couple bits of core storyline.  Yeah, it was a little more disjointed than the original - the story just didn't flow as well. Yeah, I couldn't help but compare the two stories and grumbled when they changed stuff. Especially when they unceremoniously threw the clockwork owl back into the chest. Sacrilegious reference to the original movie! Even if I didn't particularly like that owl.

I realize both the 1981 and the 2010 versions take the written mythology and run amok adding extra crap that wasn't in the original tales, but the 2010 ignored the mythology a heck of a lot more than the 1981 version did. And made up a whole bunch of other crap. And retasked mythological characters into doing things they never did. They pretty much rewrote Greco-Roman mythology and future generations will be completely misinformed as a result. That is, even more misinformed than the original movie made its generation.

Why stop there? Might as well make a new movie taking Jesus and the Apostles and pitting them in a Magnificent Seven-ish mortal combat against Krishna, Shiva, Kali, Ganesh and maybe some Odin, Loki and Thor thrown in for good measure.

Despite my grousings, I enjoyed the flick well enough as a source of mindless entertainment.

(original post 4 Jan 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment